Failures of frugality. Bursting my bubble.
- Trying to do everything yourself in order to save money, but got overwhelmed and forgot to pay a bill, bring that coupon, turn off the stove?
- Renting a movie, then finding that same one for free at the library, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Youtube, or in your own private library.
- Nothing like having clothes fall apart in public! Clothes should be cheap, but not cheaply made. Key is natural fibers like wool, cotton and leather for long-lasting wear.
- Did you ever take a trip, intending to ‘muscle through,’ but you got so tired you lost your way, drove in circles for a few hours, and ended up staying at a random (and rather expensive) hotel? Been there.
- GPS is too expensive. So are smart phones. Again, with the getting lost. If I could take back all the hours and gallons of fuel from driving in circles, I could buy 3 smartphones, and a GPS for each vehicle.
- Skipping vitamins in the name of frugality = probably get sick more often = lost wages = doctor visits (I. If you can’t afford vitamins, drink cod liver oil. II. If you can’t afford cod liver oil, get food in its most whole form possible to retain nutrients; III. Do both of options even if you do take good vitamins)
- Thrift stores are often over-priced; but it’s definitely better than buying full price!
- Thrift store finds are only frugal if you actually need the item…
- Chickens like free post-dated bread, but they won’t lay as many eggs! Give them some protein.
- Apparently, simmering cinnamon sticks and apple juice to improve the post-fish dinner aroma is not a frugal way to freshen up the house–if you can’t remember to turn off the stove.