Whoa! Who would have thought a woman of leisure would be so busy from sun-up to sun-down? The expectation is to be all things to all people. Societal pressure has bested many a good woman. See below;
The Western Code for a Lady of Breeding
- A woman should contribute financially, in fact out-earning and out-spending the other ladies in her ‘league.’
- She is the purrrrfect wife 😉
- She is active. She sews, gardens, jogs, practices yoga, holds a craft tables at all the local shows, and definitely knows how to make play-dough.
- Her children are well behaved; well versed in arts and crafts, sports, scholastics, and sculpting play-dough.
- She runs a pristine household of sparkling cleanliness, décor, and gourmet cuisine. The carpet is, above all things, play-dough-free.
- 5’10” and 110 lb, clear skin impeccably dusted with makeup, either a sleek bob or a bouncy blowout, and rhinestone-studded boots.
- She competes at various competitions at the national level.
- Her well-used library includes the Scriptures, National Geographic, Business Week, and Shakespeare.
- She leads a class in church, organizes a monthly field trip for school, and hosts a weekly prayer meeting.
- She is educated; her Ph.D is just one milestone of many.
Did I already say “whoa!?” Sometimes Inadequacy raises its ugly head to sneer at my unbotoxed lips; or the dishes in my sink; or the play-dough on my carpet. And I want to cringe, wondering if it is all worth the hassle.
But then my precious children arise and call me blessed; my husband also, and he praises me:
“Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” (Proverbs 31:28-29)
And with these words from my beloved family a steel-toe boot crushes the ugly monster of Inadequacy; and it dies a painful death amid flashbacks of an evil serpent in a beautiful garden.